We are in full fall mode in my household. Everything from pumpkin spice to warm comforting meals is all that you can find here. With Thanksgiving in just a few days (here in Canada), I wanted to do things differently and instead of making my usual apple crisp for Thanksgiving I am going to be making these pumpkin spice donuts instead. They are baked NOT fried so you don’t have to feel like you are eating something oily and greasy but the topping and icing make the donuts oh so indulgent! If you are looking to change up your dessert menu this year for Thanksgiving (or even if you are looking to bake something different) try these donuts out!
12 servings /10 mins prep time / 45 mins total time
1¾ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
¼ cup cream
½ tsp salt
1 cup icing sugar
Pecans, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a donut pan with vegetable oil.
- In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice)
- In a second bowl, mix the oil, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, milk and vanilla until evenly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient and fold until just combined, and no flour pockets remain.
- Fill the batter into the donut pan. I personally add the batter to a ziplock bag, cut a hole in the corner and fill each donut cup until half full.
- Bake the donuts for 15-17 minutes or if you put a toothpick in the donut it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins before removing from donut pan.
- To make the frosting, in a pot melt the butter and once melted add the brown sugar. Whisk until combined. Allow to come to a simmer, mixing occasionally.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes and then add the cream and salt and continue to whisk.
- Add the icing sugar and whisk until evenly incorporated, turn stove off.
- Once your donuts are cooled dip in warmed frosting. Then dip half the donut into pecans.
- Allow to completely set before enjoying!